Sunday 18 January 2015

Moooore Movies!

Big Hero 6 (2014)


8.1/10 on IMDb
88% on Rotten Tomatoes

This animated film tells the story of 14-year old genius Hero Hamada, who uses his skillz in robotics (as well as his friends' scientific prowesses) to create a team of superheroes named Big Hero 6.

This film is actually loosely based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name, and even though I wasn't familiar with the original comics, I was curious to see how Disney would do an animation on a Marvel comic book character. As you can tell from the Wiki article on the original comics, they've changed quite a lot (Baymax is this huge green monster thing), so it's unsurprisingly still very much like a typical Disney movie.

I actually didn't expect much of it from watching the trailers, because I thought the humour might be too forced, but I actually enjoyed it better than I expected I would. It was quite comical ("Balalalala!"), and the storyline was good (although still quite typical). What makes the film work is the characterisation of both the humans and Baymax, the latter of which undoubtebly carries the film and most of the humour.

All in all the film was quite good, but still not as amazing as it was hyped up to be. It wasn't new or anything, I mean just think of any superhero or animated film where they have to train for something and you kind of get the idea. Even the flying sequence reminded me of How to Train your Dragon.

I know a lot of people think Wreck-It Ralph was better, and to be honest I don't know where I stand on this. The concept of Wreck-It Ralph was much better, but I can't remember liking it too much. Of course, I can't really remember when I watched it so I do need to rewatch it to form a better opinion on it. But I think most of it is because the concept of Wreck-It Ralph allows for better dialogue, better humour and better storylines.

But all in all, as a superhero film, Big Hero 6 doesn't do too bad. I probably wouldn't watch it anytime soon or invest in the DVD, but it was still an enjoyable watch.


Her (2013)


8.0/10 on IMDb
94% on Rotten Tomatoes

Set in a frighteningly plausible near future, Her focuses on a society where technology has the capacity to allow for personalised operating systems complete with very advanced artificial intelligence. Our lead character purchases one of these and what follows is an unorthodox romance between human and OS.

As you can tell, this film has a very, very interesting concept which leads to some very, very uncomfortable scenes (especially when watching with the family). But in a world where everything is virtual (even the sex), it really makes you think about where this world is headed. While it does make you a bit frightened of the future, it's executed in such a way where you feel like you actually could be okay with a time when people are so intertwined with their technologies that a romance between a human and an OS isn't even that strange or weird in the eyes of others.

I really liked the ending, it was quite interesting and funny even though it was meant to be very dramatic. I guess it was because the ending addressed what you were thinking the whole length of the movie without even realising you were thinking of it.

Joaquin Phoenix was great in this role, as was Amy Adams and even Scarlett Johansson (as this film proves she doesn't need a body to be sexy). It was also good seeing Chris Pratt in this, as he wasn't playing a comedic role and he was just a lovely and supportive friend.

So while this was a good concept, it was still a bit of a weird film and I wouldn't see it again anytime soon. It's one of those ones that are good to watch once, and not really ever again.


Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)


5.9/10 on IMDb
18% on Rotten Tomatoes

Well, this is going to be short.

I slept halfway through this so I honestly don't think I can review this but I guess that's a review in itself.

I don't even really know what the plot is, but it's set some time after the third in the franchise, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and Mark Wahlberg plays the main character who helps repair Optimus Prime. However, there is also a Transformer bounty hunter called Lockdown whose orders are to find and kill the other Transformers. Optimus Prime then needs to find the remaining Autobots, and then from there I don't really know what happened. There was some sort of conspiracy going on with Megatron and... yeah I dunno.

To be honest, Mark Wahlberg was really weird in this. My brother pointed out that it was weird seeing him as a father, which I totally agree with because I thought, even though they explain it in the film, he's way too young to be a father to such an old daughter. The acting was also really weird, the comedy was cringe-worthy and the plot, as you can tell, was sub-par.

Don't watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment