Tuesday 8 July 2014

Holidays a Bloggin'

Yay holidays! Which means more time for movies, more time for books, and more time for blogging about them!

Firstly, I wanted to make a little list (because I love lists) on what I loved and hated about this latest season of Game of Thrones. Don't worry I will HIDE spoilers!. If you know me, you know that I'm a full elitist when it comes to the series as I'm always complaining about how the books were so much better and the show missed out on so much stuff.

But... for some reason I really loved this season (at least episodes 2 to 9).

I think it's because they split the third book into two seasons (3 and 4), allowing them to concentrate more on what happened. Let's be honest, a lot of stuff was skipped in seasons 1 and 2, not to mention all the plot changes they did. Season 3 was alright, but a lot of stuff was changed that I wasn't really okay with. But season 4! Season 4 was pretty darn good. Right at episode 2 (The Lion and The Rose), I was like dang! They're actually doing it some good justice! And then I realised that George RR Martin himself wrote the screenplay so I was like, "Oh... let's see how the other episodes go then...", and they did quite well, with my favourite being episode 7 (Mockingbird), because there were so many memorable book scenes that they included.

So anyway, here are the lists:

Things I Hate About Game of Thrones Season 4

-The depiction of Shae (she's infinitely worse in the books)
-Ramsay having a female companion (this goes against everything Ramsay is about)
-Don't click if you haven't seen up to episode 4 (Oathkeeper)!
-Where is Coldhands?! Looks like he's being cut from the show...
-Stannis being depicted as an absolute retard in the first half of the season.
-Don't click if you haven't finished reading A Storm of Swords (book 3)!

Things I Love About Game of Thrones Season 4

-The Red Viper and the trial
-The Purple Wedding
-The Titan of Braavos
-The epic music in episode 9 (which might actually have been in other episodes but I didn't take notice)
-The depiction of Alayne Stone! They changed a few things around but I liked what they did with it. The books are mainly internal because she doesn't say much, but they gave her a more active role, making her seem like she is a serious player in the game of thrones.
-The portrayal of Reek and Theon! They are both such great actors!

Things That I Both Love and Hate

-Episode 9. Like seriously?! An entire episode for a battle that could have been condensed to include some stuff in the last episode so that it wouldn't have been so RUSHED?!?! The last episode had to be 66 minutes long and still felt super rushed AND cut out on some major stuff. Seriously, I mean it was an epic battle and I loved that single-shot sequence in the middle, but it was dragged out for soooo long!


Okay, that's my rant done so here's some cool bonus materials on Game of Thrones being re-imagined by some artists:

-Feudal Japan

-Disney

-Pokemon Sigils


Now for some movies!

The Book Thief


7.6/10 on IMDb
46% on Rotten Tomatoes

A war drama based on the book of the same name describing the life of Liesel Meminger, a nine-year-old girl who is adopted into a German family in Molching. At first she doesn't know how to read, but her new Papa teaches her how and she soon grows to love books, to the point where, after witnessing a mass burning of books in the village centre, she begins stealing them, thus 'The Book Thief'. Meanwhile, her family is sheltering a refugee Jew named Max Vandenburg.

This was another book adaptation that I had read before watching, and it was actually one of my most favourite books. I think I read it in year 9 or something, and it touched me so much. It was amazing.

This film however, was nowhere near as good as the book.

It was 2 hours long, but it felt like 3. The actors were great, especially cute little Rudy, but for some reason the movie was just really boring and dragged on for too long.

Also! They didn't include the story that Max wrote in the book, which was my absolute favourite part, especially the drawings he did. That was the biggest disappointment.

(Click to open in a new tab - sorry I couldn't find any larger images of this)
JUST LOOK AT THAT SYMBOLISM!

All in all, I do not suggest watching this film.


And some books...

he Little Prince


4.22/5 on Goodreads

I'm slowly making my way through the Dymocks Favourite 101 Books list, and this was 76. Even before then, I've heard some amazing things about this book. Despite being a children's book, it has really mature themes and philosophical thinkings on life and love, and is often called the children's book that only adults would love.

Being a children's book, it didn't take long to read; maybe an hour or so including me eating and chatting and stuff. But it actually was fantastic, and I really see why it was so hyped up. It's so great at using metaphors to reflect on what we're doing wrong in life and why people are unhappy as they grow older and what the differences are between the innocence of children and the ignorance of the adults.

It's hard to talk much about it because most of the stuff needs to be read, so just go ahead and read it!


Looking for Alaska


4.22/5 on Goodreads

This was another highly-acclaimed Young Adult book that all my students were telling me to read because they said it was so amazing. It was also number 51 in the Dymocks list, which means I've read in total 23 of the 101 books... Not actually a lot.

Anyway, this story follows 16 year old Miles Halter, who moves to a boarding school, makes friends and has the adventure of his life in the first year of school. It sounds pretty cliche, because it kinda is. It's just a typical high school story, where this loser loner guy goes to a new school and makes new friends and all that stuff. I found it enjoyable, but I don't think it was that great. I still do respect John Green for being able to make 16 year olds not sound like 10 year olds, as that is what usually happens when people write from the view point of a 16-year old. The language was still simple, but the stuff the protagonist and his friends talked about made them smarter than the average book 16-year-old, just like in The Fault in Our Stars (by the same author).

So again, it was enjoyable, but not fascinating. It also had a lot of good quotes, including this one quote that you've probably seen pop up on your News Feed from people over at Tumblr:

I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.

They also had this one good quote that I liked on religion:

But there’s a Sufi story that challenges the notion that people believe only because they need an opiate. Rabe’a al-Adiwiyah, a great woman saint of Sufism, was seen running through the streets of her hometown, Basra, carrying a torch in one hand and a bucket of water in the other. When someone asked her what she was doing, she answered, “I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment