Wednesday 22 July 2015

Remember, Remember, the 5th of November

Ant-Man (2015)


8.0/10 on IMDb
80% on Rotten Tomatoes

Ant-Man is the latest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, focusing on Scott Lang, a thief desperately trying to be a good father figure for his daughter. When times get desperate, he has to take on a job that will not only put his life in danger, but will put the world in danger should he fail.

The first part of the film was quite slow for me, as nothing much happened, but once it got into the more action-type scenes, it became a lot better. Still, though, the film seemed really slow-paced, especially for a film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Maybe it's just because this film didn't have such high stakes; cities or countries aren't really in any immediate danger, so of course it would naturally be slower-paced.

Instead, this film has more of a heist element to it, and while I love heist films, the complexity of this film's heist wasn't that great. Obviously, being a superhero film, the main attractive feature of the heist was more to do with the actual abilities and weaponry of Ant Man, which of course are pretty cool. It also allowed for some good moments of self-aware comedy, but this eventually wore off (there's only a number of times you can actually laugh at the irony of a superhero being the size of an ant before it gets tiring).

Paul Rudd is really cute so that was a huge plus, but in a lot of scenes he looked really short. According to Google, he's 1.78m, which means he's 25cm taller than me, so dang! I would look so tiny on camera.

Also, Michael Peña's bits are really funny. His face in this film just makes him look like a complete imbecile; it's hilarity.

There's also some good cameos from some (one) other marvel characters, and there was a pretty good fight scene when this occurred. They also made some funny references to the Avengers, which goes to show that these films actually are in the same Marvel Universe (something I had forgotten).

All in all it wasn't a great film, but it was enjoyable. I'm not too sure how necessary this film is for the Marvel films as it's kind of just an introduction to Ant Man, but I still think it's worth the watch. Maybe not in the cinemas, but at least watch it if you enjoy the other Marvel films.


Other than Ant Man, I haven't really been doing anything these holidays.

I've been working heeeeeaps earning dat cash, so there seriously hasn't been much that has been happening.

But I did finally watch V for Vendetta!

V for Vendetta (2005)


8.2/10 on IMDb
73% on Rotten Tomatoes

I remember when I was in love with The Dark Knight (2008), someone (and I forgot who) told me, "If you like Batman, you would like V for Vendetta", so it's been on my list for all these years and I never got around to watching it.

After having seen it now, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that statement. I mean, I did like the film, but the only parallels I can find between the two films are that the two main characters are vigilantes, trying to make the world a better place by going against the law.

Instead, I would say that the statement would be more accurate if it was, "If you like 1984 or anything by George Orwell, you would like V for Vendetta", because it's a more political film than anything, and it actually has a ton of parallels with 1984. The film deals with a dystopian future where everything is regulated, monitored and censored, and where the main characters need to be broken in order to transcend and transform. The main characters are in favour of anarchy and overthrowing the powerful in order to purge the city of its corruption, and whilst the stakes are a lot higher in this film than in 1984, it does leave you with a more positive view of anarchy and freedom, unlike George Orwell's dystopian novel.

So while this film was enjoyable, there's quite a lot of politics and political themes in it, so I'm not too sure if it's to everyone's taste. I myself was quite lost whenever they had political meetings and discussions, but the film as a whole was quite interesting.


I know, it's a short blog today but I just don't have much else to say about these films, and my holidays have just been spent watching Parks and Recreation (which I absolutely love and was so heartbroken when I finished watching it all).

I shall leave you with a picture of House Martell's sigil face-painted on me that I had done at my young cousin's birthday party.

Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment