Tuesday 23 July 2013

Blind Ears and Deaf Eyes

So recently I discovered a Youtuber called Tommy Edison. His channel is TommyEdisonXP, and he's a blind guy who answers a ton of questions relating to blindness, like what colours are to blind people and even unanswerable questions like What Do Blind People See?

He's such a lovely guy, and so funny! I watched the majority of his videos and it's just so interesting how blindness really affects things like how he fears still water because it's not moving and that's really creepy to him.

He also has this channel called Blind Film Critic, where he reviews movies he 'watches'. It's funny how in things like X-Men First Class he was just so confused because no one explicitly stated what their powers were.

Anyway, the entire point of this is because I saw a comment in one of his videos (and I'm not sure which one because I watched too many and can't remember) that said something like "Have you ever met a deaf person before? Because there's pretty much an entire barrier of communication there :/" (paraphrased). And that got me INSPIRED to write another story! Yay!

It's really short, less than 500 words actually but that's all I could manage. I could add more but I felt like it wasn't really needed.

Tell me what you think!!


---***---

When a blind man and a deaf woman fall in love, what happens?

----------

“What do you hear?”

She saw his mouth move as he spoke into the microphone, the words appearing on the screen.

“I hear”

What do I hear? He thought to himself. He felt the sunlight streaming down on them both. He tasted the cherry-flavoured lip balm from when he kissed her. He smelt her perfume, a sweet smell that made his heart flutter. But what do I hear?

“The steady hum of the computer that brings us together. The small birds perching outside as they serenade their loves. The annoying crickets calling for their mates. The cars rumbling past as they search for their soul mates.

“It is a quiet day, and I can hear you. The beautiful breaths that come from your lungs. The soft beating of your heart. And I can hear your smile right now. In a world of lost souls finding their lovers, here I am listening to mine.”

It was true. She was smiling. She loved that about him; the way he could hear things other people couldn’t.

“What do you see?”

She stared at the words on the screen.

I see everything, she thought, heartbroken. I see more than you could ever imagine. I see colours, and shapes. I see what makes the sounds you hear. I see what makes the sensations you feel, what makes the flavours you taste, the fragrances you smell. I see a whole world you never can.

“So many things.” She typed onto the computer. The words sent a clicking of braille underneath his fingers. “But I can only focus on you. And you look beautiful.”

His smile was received by her tears.

“Don’t cry.”

----------

A world of five senses makes no sense to me. The gods have decided I should lack of one, and for that they make up with the other four.

Our sense of touch is strong, and our most important.

We are not two wholes; we are two broken pieces that join to become one whole.

At times we cannot understand each other. There is as much difficulty in explaining the beautiful strums of a harp as there is in explaining the joys of a brilliant purple sky.

But we have our touch. And we have our love. And through the difficult times we hold each other in silence, because that feeling of love makes up for the lack of sight and hearing.

If Helen Keller could make it through, then surely we can better her.

----------

When a blind man and a deaf woman fall in love, what happens?



The same as any other couple:

We find a way.

For love’s sake.