Saturday 27 July 2013

Prepping for Uni

Last holiday post (for now)!

This post is just going to be a lot of random little things because I haven't really been doing too much lately.

So if we reflect back on my holidays, I'm actually quite proud of myself. I was quite productive and explored a lot of new things. Hopefully I can keep this up during Uni though...

I'm still a bit annoyed I didn't do much artsy stuff besides scrapbooking (which I actually just finished today by the way! YAAY!)... I really wanted to draw and paint a lot these holidays. That was probably my only goal and I ended up doing everything else apart from that.

Oh but speaking of artsy stuff... I went to Daiso in Parramatta and browsed around and I saw this thing that is literally just a coil of material and they have instructions for you to weave a basket!


Because I think it's the sort of thing where you need quite a lot of time to do, I haven't gotten started on it yet. I've cut out all my strips but they've just been lying around on my desk, hopefully I get around to it soon and hopefully it doesn't turn out like my sock bear...


Needless to say, I stuffed that one up... (pun pun pun!)

I also bought some embellishment stickers from Daiso, which I think were totally not worth $2.80 but they were so pretty I couldn't resist. I think I managed to buy two of the very few items in Daiso that actually aren't worth it but hey, without people like me, Daiso wouldn't thrive so yeah.. next time you buy something from Daiso thank me for keeping their business alive.


What else is there?

My bro bought a few more board games but we've only played one called Pandemic.


I think this is the best game so far! The interesting thing about this game is that it's a co-operative game, meaning all the players actually work together to win against the board game.


As you can tell by the name, the game has to do with diseases spreading across the world, and you have to work together with other players to cure all four diseases. You get assigned role cards, each with their own special powers, and you get to move around the world treating and curing diseases. However, each round you need to infect at least two cities and this can cause outbreaks. If you get eight outbreaks, then you lose. You also lose when the deck runs out and when you run out of infections. The crazy thing is that every now and then you get Epidemics which increase the infection rate and intensify the infections. This probably doesn't make any sense but it's seriously such good fun I really loved it!


I also watched Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time


This movie was...alright... I mean yeah it was a good enjoyable film but it's not great or anything. My family kept cringing at the British accents, but it added to the humour. Honestly, I'm really sick and tired of this Gemma Arterton acting in these types of movies (she acted as Io in Clash of the Titans as well). Her voice for some reason really unsettles me. Okay maybe it's the voice I'm sick and tired of and not this film genre. Actually no, I still don't like her because I feel like I keep seeing her in this sort of film and it's just annoying.

Another thing was that the ending totally didn't make sense to me. It just contradicted what they were saying the entire film like "NO! You can't possibly let this guy do this because if anyone does that then they will unleash all of Hell's Wrath!" But then at the end they're like "Yeah, nah..." and just do it anyway...

But yeah, it's a Disney family film so I suppose it's not meant to be an amazing film. It's funny in it's own way and Jake Gyllenhaal's muscles are highly defined (although I still can't find his face super attractive, there's something about his eyes that make him look very creepy and unnatural).


And speaking of movies, on Facebook, Civic had this instant win thing and I won a double pass for The Internship.


This was on like Thursday or something. The terms and conditions said to be used from 13 June 2013 until the end of the film's season. I was like "13TH OF JUNE?! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S STILL SHOWING!" And so I checked ALL NINE cinema companies and it was only showing in ONE HOYTS LOCATION! How ridiculous is that. I probably won't watch it because I ceebs anyway, I wouldn't even have entered if I knew it was a double pass to the Internship but oh wellz...


AND since we're going on films anyway, how cool is this behind-the-scenes shot of Django Unchained! YOU MUST MUST MUST CLICK ON IT TO ENLARGE THE PHOTO IT'S JUST AMAZING!


Ugh, that's so awesome! I love how in-character Leonardo DiCaprio gets!


And one last film-related point! I didn't realise but Disney did a short film that was a sequel to Tangled!!!!! How did I not know this?!?!? Well, actually I do know how I did not know this, it came out together with Beauty and the Beast 3D (I think it was 3D but if not, it was one of those special things like Diamond Edition or whatever).

WATCH IT NOW!!!


UGH I LOVE TANGLED!! Rapunzel and Flynn Forever!!

And that's the end of my rant!


And now onto some cooking stuffs!

My great-uncle and my second cousin's birthdays are soon, so my great-aunt wanted me to make a dessert. I needed to try something different so I looked through my baking cookbook and I found something called Impossible Pies! The author said something like "These pies are more magical than impossible. You pour the pudding-like mixture into the pie pans and bake it and it separates into three layers: a base crust, a custard filling and a coconut topping."

I was like I NEED TO TRY THIS! Except I didn't want to fail on the day so I tried it out yesterday and OH MY GOODNESS IT WENT TERRIBLE!

Actually, it wasn't that bad, the taste is really good, it's just that I didn't realise the 'base crust' was going to still be sort of soft, and because I don't have a springform pan I just used a normal baking pan and when I flipped the impossible pie onto another plate, half of the soft crust layer separated and stayed in the pan! OH NOO!! I was so annoyed but good thing I didn't do that on the day! The first thing I did this morning was go to Kmart and get myself a springform pan! Actually the pack came with two so I'm happy now. Tomorrow I get to serve up a lovely impossible pie!

So here's a pic of the final thing:


And a close-up on the coconut on top:


And a badly unfocused image of the slice which doesn't really show you much but in real life you can distinctly see the base, custard filling and coconut topping!


Later maybe I'll take a photo of me making it, it's really easy, just whip everything up in a blender!


AND THAT'S IT!

Hope everyone has a lovely start to Uni!

Up next:
  • A Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire themed blog (I know I keep saying this, but it's coming up!)
  • More stories
  • More drawings
  • Most likely two songs (I have one song learnt but I sound really retarded in the recording so I'm not sure about that one, and I'm really close to finishing off this second song so hopefully I sound alright in that too otherwise there will be no songs blogged at all!)


    And here's some links:

    Shel Silverstein: The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas

    George Carlin: On assassination

    Neil deGrasse Tyson: The most astounding fact

    18 Amazing Facts About the Human Body

    Multicolored Layered Paper Sculptures by Maud Vantours