Friday 28 February 2014

KFC = Killer Fun (with) Chloe

So I'm happy to announce that I just did a trial shift at KFC! They actually asked me to do it at Baulkham Hills and I might or might not end up working there instead of Castle Towers, so we'll see how it goes. Everything is the same except that it's a bit bigger and there's a drive-through.

The trial shift is just something I do before accepting the job, just for me to see whether or not I can see myself working there. It was pretty interesting, I had to do the opening shift so I helped them package the potato and gravy and all that stuff. Everything seems extremely hectic though, people just running around, especially the drive-through people with the headsets trying to race to the drive-through window.

It was pretty cool though and at the end of it I was entitled to a combo meal since the shift was unpaid, so there's that.


Oh and also, here's my jigsaw puzzle I did!


It's a 1000 piece Ravensburger puzzle that Joyce, Alice and Pamela got me as a belated present. I finished it within 24 hours and it was probably because it's most likely the easiest 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle I would ever do. It's so easy to pick up a piece and know roughly where it is in the picture, since the majority of the pieces are faces or parts of characters' clothing. I also had to buy this jigsaw puzzle conserver glue so that I can glue it all together and then glue it to a board before I hang it up. I wanted to hang it in a frame, but it's so big and custom frames are so expensive, so maybe not. I'll probably find some sort of stand or something I have no idea.



Speaking of puzzle I came across this Game of Thrones Puzzle of Westeros:


It was $60 in the shop and it's roughly the same price online. At first I was like, "SIXTY DOLLARS?! For a puzzle?! No way."

But then I realised that it's over 1400 pieces AND IT'S 3D!

There are three layers: the bottom normal map, another layer of the land terrain so that it looks like the land is lifted from the ocean, and then plastic 3D pieces of the landmark buildings.

You can see one plastic piece here and you can sort of see how the land layer is higher up than the sea:




Well I think I'll definitely buy this once some money starts coming in, but looking at some reviews, some people say that it's a really bad quality puzzle since a lot of the pieces seem to fit together but they're not actually right. And since it has over 1400 pieces, and all the land pieces are duplicated, it seems like it would take years to complete, so maybe I would have to buy this closer to the winter holidays...

Here is a cool video of the puzzle:



And now for some movies I rented...

The Perks of Being a Wallflower


8.1/10 on IMDb
85% on Rotten Tomatoes

As I said when I read the book, I was definitely expecting this movie to be a lot better. While it was better, it wasn't that great (I don't know why it was rated so highly, I personally would have rated it maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10). It was still good in showing the teenage troubles that a lot of people go through, and the difficulties of finding your place in life while dealing with your past struggles, but I think that it was weirdly directed and a bit slow moving at times. The actors were quite great, and Emma Watson is so beautiful but I think something was missing, like maybe more narratives or something, I don't know. In the end it was a pretty good film, but nothing amazing.


Olympus Has Fallen


6.5/10 on IMDb
48% on Rotten Tomatoes

This was pretty good for an action film. The plot's obviously not ideal and it's quite overdone since it's about a terrorist attack on the White House and one man goes in to save the day. It's so overdone that it's actually one of the two films last year about a terrorist attack on the White House (the other is White House Down with Channing Tatum).

I think the reason why the show was rated down was because of this overdone plot, but I think it was quite good for entertainment purposes. Also, I think it's one of the few movies where the president is a famous actor (Aaron Eckhart, Two-Face Harvey from The Dark Knight). The other actors (as you can see from the movie poster) were Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman, who were pretty good but Morgan Freeman's role was quite small considering who he is.

It was also quite racist because the terrorists were North Koreans, but still very entertaining.


End of Watch


7.7 on IMDb
85% on Rotten Tomatoes

This movie follows the lives of two policemen in a semi home-made documentary style. At first, this documentary style made it really cheesy and boring, but it shortly became really intense and suspenseful. I can't give too much detail on the film without spoiling anything, but they get into a bit of trouble once they accidentally bust into some huge spider web gang network.

In the end it's really deep and makes us think about all these policemen who put their lives in danger and the things they sacrifice, like having a normal family life.

Jake Gyllenhaal is also really amazing in this. Apaprently most of the on-screen banter was improvised between the two main actors, and they did a really good job at that. There were a lot of swear words, which made this movie have about the 6th highest number of swear words in a film (which just makes me wonder what The Wolf of Wall Street is like).


Seven Psychopaths


7.2/10 on IMDb
83% on Rotten Tomatoes

This movie is extremely weird. I didn't get it at all. People rated it really highly because the film was mocking Hollywood film-making and because of it's amazing humour, but personally I found it quite weird.

As the name suggests, it just kind of goes through these weird characters who are pretty much psychopaths. The storyline is that someone is trying to write a Hollywood film called Seven Psychopaths, but he's having trouble finding inspiration for the types of psychopaths he should write about. In the meantime, his friends, who are dognappers, end up kidnapping a Shih Tzu owned by an extremely psychopathic mafia boss.

Like at times it was funny, but the whole movie wasn't that great. Woody Harrelson is still amazing, but the movie was too ridiculous for me to take it seriously enough, even when it was aiming for comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment