Friday 14 February 2014

Pre-Semester Mediocrity

I finally saw Frozen!

8.1/10 on IMDb
89% on Rotten Tomatoes

This was really hyped up, but for some reason I didn't like it that much. A lot of people were saying that it's better than Tangled, but honestly I think this movie was sub-par.

In case you haven't seen it or heard about it (unlikely), its another Disney fairytale. Elsa, the oldest, was born with magical abilities to create ice and snow. This is unknown to her younger sister, Anna, and the rest of the kingdom. On her coming-of-age coronation day, she accidentally lets this slip and, scared of what the civilians will think of her, she runs away. Accidentally setting off a winter storm, she entraps the kingdom in an eternal winter and Anna tries to go after her to bring her back and bring back the summer.

So yeah, I didn't really like this plot line, I think Tangled was so much better. The main thing was that there wasn't really any back story, which is a classic with Disney fairy tales, explaining things like how she got her powers and all sorts of things like that. There also wasn't a very strong villain; the movie seemed to suggest that fear itself was a villain in our lives which, while true, could have been presented better. Some parts didn't make much sense, and I feel like they would have made more sense if they provided a back story, just like with Tangled's magical flower.

I also felt that they were trying too hard with the humour, especially Olaf (since most of the humour came from him). Don't get me wrong, there were good moments of humour but the majority of it was very forced.

Another thing was that Idina Menzel's singing voice didn't match up with the look of Elsa at all. At least with Tangled, Mandy Moore's singing matched Rapunzel's movements and she had a Disney princess voice. With Idina, her voice seemed really mature and it felt like it was just overlaid on the animation since it didn't even match Elsa. I still love Elsa's talking voice, but her singing voice was also very strenuous and nasally.

The stuff I did love about the film, however, was the ending with the true love. I really loved how they took our traditional views on true love and gave it a new spin. I also loved the title song, Vuelie, as well as the opening song, Frozen Heart. While I didn't like Idina Menzel singing Let it Go, I still really like the song and I really like Demi's pop version of it in the credits too. Ironically, the Let it Go sequence was my favourite in the movie because of the amazing visuals and since I've been crazy about ice and ice sculptures ever since X-Men 2.


Also, I made a 3D egg jigsaw puzzle!

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

I bought this last year in Malaysia for about $2 (AUD). At first I thought the picture was printed on the puzzle pieces but when I opened it:

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

Good thing they're numbered though! There's 40 pieces and they were numbered 1-20 twice, for each side of the egg.

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

The pack also came with a base for the egg to stand in and some stickers (so I'm essentially doing two puzzles):

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

I couldn't take a decent photo of all the sides of the egg, so here are the four views of the puzzle as shown on the box:

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

Oh yeh... Lotso's also been placed sadly on the bottom all by himself (and they didn't even show him on the box)!:

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

I have no idea why they had to go and print stickers for the puzzle when they could have just printed the puzzle on the puzzle pieces themselves... I mean look at this:

Click to enlarge picture in a new tab

Because that totally matches up.


Also, I saw Hotel Transylvania just today:

7.1/10 on IMDb
45% on Rotten Tomatoes

This film had really really low expectations for me. Honestly, I don't even know why I wanted to watch it because I remember seeing the trailer for it and just thinking it was the cheesiest thing ever.

It's an animation about Count Dracula opening up a hotel for monsters and trying to prevent his teenage 118 year old daughter from encountering humans, since he thinks we're all evil and dangerous.

It's actually quite alright (granted if you go in knowing it's going to be pretty cheesy since it's a kid's comedy). They had some good humour at times and some nice references to pop culture, but it's probably not a film I would rewatch. It's still enjoyable though for the animation and entertainment quality.


Well, that's it for now. Uni's coming back in half a month and it's going to be pretty hectic. I've got 3 days at Uni but I really need to knuckle down for Psych, since I need at least a Distinction average for the next 3 years to get into Honours to start to become a Clinical Psychologist. I'm also looking for another casual job, but not many places are hiring for casuals. Wish me luck!

Also, if anyone's stuck on getting cheap Uni textbooks, you should try out Textbook Exchange (now called StudentVIP Textbooks), where students advertise their second-hand textbooks for cheaper (since Co-Op is heck expensive). Just beware of what edition and stuff you need.

Another cheap site is Book Depository, which is a UK based site that has free shipping and really cheap prices.

Other good sites are Booko and AddALL, which compare book prices, together with shipping costs, from a range of websites.

I know most of you know all this already, but I knew a few people who weren't sure how Textbook Exchange and stuff worked so here are just a few tips.

All the best, and I'll blog again in about a week's time!

No comments:

Post a Comment