Wednesday 11 June 2014

Best Films and Books (according to me)

In the midst of Stuvac, I decided to procrastinate while still feeling slightly productive. The result was this compilation of some of my favourite films and books by category.

So here goes:

*Note: This compilation is extremely limited to my failing memory
*Note: As a result, I couldn't really do a thriller/action/whatever category because I had a mind blank on what movies I watched and besides there are way too many films out there for me to pick

~-~-~-~-~-~

Films

Best Overall Film

Memento
[Christopher Nolan]

Best Film Series
Batman
[Christopher Nolan]

Notable Mentions: Lord of the Rings [Peter Jackson], X-Men [Bryan Singer, Brett Ratner, Gavin Hood, Matthew Vaughn, James Mangold]

Best Comedy Film
Grand Budapest Hotel
[Wes Anderson]

Best Musical Film
Hairspray
[Adam Shankman]

Notable Mentions: Grease [Randal Kleiser]

Best Disney Animation Film
Tangled
[Nathan Greno, Byron Howard]

Notable Mentions: Pocahontas [Mike Gabriel, Eric Goldberg], Hercules [Ron Clements, John Musker], pretty much all of them

Best Pixar Animation Film
Up
[Pete Docter]

Notable Mentions: Ratatouille [Brad Bird], Toy Story 3 [Lee Unkrich], A Bug's Life [John Lasseter]

Best Non-Disney/Pixar Animation Film
How to Train Your Dragon
[Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois]

Worst Film
The Fountain
[Darren Aronofsky]

Notable Mentions: Alice in Wonderland [Tim Burton]

Best Book-Turned-Film
Catching Fire
[Francis Lawrence in The Hunger Games Series]
*Note: Requirements for this are that I have to have both read the book and watched the film, hence Lord of the Rings doesn’t count

Notable Mentions: Holes [Andrew Davis], Silver Linings Playbook [David O. Russell], Noah [Darren Aronofsky], Cloud Atlas [Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski]

Worst: We Need to Talk About Kevin [Lynne Ramsay], Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close [Stephen Daldry]

Books

Best Overall Book

A Storm of Swords
[George RR Martin in A Song of Ice and Fire]

Best Book Series
A Song of Ice and Fire
[George RR Martin]

Notable Mentions: The Hunger Games Trilogy [Suzanne Collins]

Best Non-Fiction Book
The Diary of Anne Frank
[Anne Frank]
*Note: I actually think this is the only non-fiction book I have read

Best Romance Book
The Time Traveler’s Wife
[Audrey Niffenegger]

Notable Mentions: Pride and Prejudice [Jane Austen]

Best Young Adult Book Series
The Hunger Games
[Suzanne Collins]

Best Young Adult Book
The Fault in Our Stars
[John Green]

Notable Mentions: The Book Thief [Markus Zusak], Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close [Jonathan Safran Foer], Holes [Louis Sachar]

Best Children’s Book Series
Children of the Red King
[Jenny Nimmo]
(Think Harry Potter meets X-Men and you get the gist of this series)

Notable Mentions: Keys to the Kingdom [Garth Nix], A Series of Unfortunate Events [Lemony Snicket]

Worst: Artemis Fowl [Eoin Colfer] (seriously, I needed to restart this like three times before I could read the whole first book)


~-~-~-~-~-~

What do you think? Agree/Disagree? Anything I've forgotten?

2 comments:

  1. you must have seen Moonrise Kingdom ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I haven't! But it looks pretty good I'll put it on my list =]

      Delete