Thursday 5 June 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past and some drawings!

It's been over a month!

Sorry, but things were getting a little hectic what with assignments and stuff. Don't worry, I've still been watching movies and reading and all that, I just haven't had the time to blog as often! (Okay, I lie, I had free time but most of it went towards YouTube...)

So, as usual, let's kick off with some movies...

X-Men: Days of Future Past


8.5/10 on IMDB
92% on Rotten Tomatoes

My two favourite topics meshed together: superpowers and time travel!

This was probably one of the most talked about movies of the year (I say probably because Godzilla happened as well), fusing X-Men First Class with the original X-Men Trilogy with Tyrion Lannister with Time Travel. Need I continue?

It doesn't matter, I'll continue anyway.

So, we're in the year 2023 and the world sort of resembles the world of Terminator, with Sentinels running around tracking mutants and killing them. But we've seen people try to kill mutants before and that didn't really work out so well for the humans, so what's different this time? Well, over 50 years ago there was a scientist called Boliver Trask (Peter Dinklage - yes, Tyrion himself reincarnated in I guess a more prestigious position after all the shenanigans in Westeros).

Other than having a name that's downright ridiculous, Boliver was able to create these robots made out of concrete or some non-metal material (so that Magneto wouldn't be able to control them) that could detect the DNA of a mutant specifically so that there would be no threat to normal homo sapiens.

Because of the publicity of these sentinels back in 1973, Mystique tracked Boliver down and assassinated him, but ended up getting captured. Because of Mystique's shapeshifting abilities, her DNA was able to be used to allow the sentinels themselves to adapt against any mutant's powers. Therefore if the Ice Man starts freezing these sentinels, the Sentinel simply adapts to it and becomes molten hot, and then blasts the Ice Man away with his flames. However, these Sentinels take about 50 years to make, so they only come out in this movie, wreaking havoc among mutants and humans that help mutants.

So how is this prevented? WE SEND WOLVERINE BACK IN TIME OF COURSE. Back to 1973, where everyone wears platforms, flared pants and floral shirts. Back to when Mystique is about to kill Trask. But hopefully, Wolverine can stop her this time.

BUT HOW DOES WOLVERINE GET SENT BACK IN TIME? Well because Kitty Pryde (the chick that could walk through walls in The Last Stand played by Ellen Page) develops her ability to send people's consciousness back in time. Because the time-travelling is too mentally exhausting for people, the most she's ever sent someone back is a month. Even for someone like Xavier, sending him back 50 years would rip him apart. But, lucky lucky, Wolverine always is able to heal at the same rate that he gets ripped apart! And because he doesn't age, he wakes up in the same body he is in now, which is convenient in terms of a casting point of view.

When he gets sent back in time, it's up to him to try and mentor Charles, Magneto and Mystique to prevent the world he knows in 2023.

So that's pretty much all I can reveal to you without spoiling anything.

What did I think of the movie?

I absolutely loved it!

I unfortunately had to watch it in 3D because I was watching with friends who couldn't do any other session, and I hate 3D and we had to sit in the fifth row so I think my experience obviously could have been better. But even though I entered the theatre extremely disappointed in needing to wear 3D glasses for something that wasn't even 3D, the movie was definitely captivating enough for me to momentarily forget about it all.

I loved how the movie just went into a lot of deep and scary places, with Mystique's internal conflict, Magneto's absolute ruthlessness and even Xavier's vulnerability. I mean, it's Charles Xavier! They put him in a dark place that you would never expect someone of his status to be in and you realise that even the most powerful people, the most successful people, the wisest people you know were once frail, hopeless and pathetic. And I just love that about the film. I love also how Wolverine takes on this mentoring role; he ends up teaching Xavier and helping him foster his power, which is fantastic.

But it's a time travel movie, and changing one event in the past creates a snowballing effect that carries on even 50 years into the future. And at the end of the film the audience is left to wonder whether or not all the other X-Men movies (except Origins: First Class) even happened at all. Maybe it's arguable that some stuff did happen but we probably will never know!

And that's kind of what I didn't like about the ending; it kind of tied everything together way too nicely without really explaining what happened.

Even before the ending, there didn't address many plot holes:

Don't click if you haven't seen The Wolverine!

But other than those plot holes, it was still very enjoyable, I loved every second of it. The slow motion sequences, the action sequences in the future, with the new mutants (especially Blink! How cool is her portal power!), the young and uncertain mutants of First Class, everything was amazing.

And also the end credits scene! That was insane! I don't know much from the original comic books, so I had to do a Google of what it meant, but it was awesome when I found out! It was definitely worth the wait unlike the end credits scene of Iron Man 3.

Another thing, the actress for Blink (Fan Bingbing - a name that trumphs Boliver Trask), stated that this film "was the first of a five X-Men movie contract that she signed with 20th Century Fox." SOOOO... does that mean that after X-Men: Apocalypse there will be THREE MORE X-MEN MOVIES?! I sure hope so and I'm so happy she would be in them because she was simply amazing.

Lastly, I found some cool timelines that combine all the X-Men movies into one chronology. Here's an infographic and here's a written/dot-pointed one.


Geez, that took a while.

I was going to write a bit more but seeing as I wrote so much just for X-Men, I'll finish with some drawings:

An Ink Pot
(no, I don't know why I made the ink black when it was clearly meant to be blue)
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)


A Balloon (or rather, several)
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)


A Fire Escape
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)


A Paper Clip
(nearly forgot about this guy)
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)


A Phonograph
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)


A Rubber Duck
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)


Mushrooms
(or rather, a mushroom on shrooms)
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)


Root Beer
(Click to enlarge in a new tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment