Tuesday 26 November 2013

This is no place for a girl on fire

I finally watched Catching Fire!!!


It was honestly so amazing, even better than the first! I love Francis Lawrence's directing in this and obviously the higher budget made it a lot better. The whole tone of the movie is really different to the first so I guess it's quite hard to compare the two, but seeing as I loved the second book I'm obviously more biased towards this film. I was so happy that they stayed pretty true to the books, especially because it meant a long 2.5 hours of watching Jennifer Lawrence! I loved her so much, the make up and costuming team were amazing and she looked so fantastic throughout the whole thing, as did the other actors. Everyone was so great; Sam Claflin didn't disappoint as Finnick Odair and I am absolutely in love with Jena Malone as Johanna Mason (my favourite character). The only thing I didn't really like was the way they directed the very last scene; it was quite anticlimactic especially since the second book ended on a really climactic note.

But other than that, this is definitely a must see! You get to look into the aftermath of the 74th Annual Hunger Games and the repercussions of Katniss' berry stunt, and see how everything is blown out of proportion as uprisings and riots occur throughout Panem. At the same time, you get to see this juxtaposed by the spoilt, well-off Capital, only to be thrown back into the arena in the most fast-paced and tense Hunger Games ever. It really is fantastic!


I also watched My Sister's Keeper (on DVD)


I really enjoyed the book but the movie wasn't that great when compared to it. The characters were a bit watered down, and a lot of the plot was removed. I suppose I didn't expect too much from it since every movie needs to change, add and remove certain things to avoid having a 50 hour film, but they changed the entire ending! I was really annoyed because I really thought that the ending was what made the book, and this ending made it such a mediocre film. But if you judge it separately from the book, I think it's still pretty good. The actors were really good and the plot itself is enough to make it a notable film.


Also, speaking of books, I updated my top ten book list that I did in this post to include authors, details (such as whether the book is a children's book, an easy read, etc.) and I also realised that I accidentally wrote The Little Bones instead of The Lovely Bones!


On a more disgusting note, the gum area from my wisdom tooth removal became infected! On Saturday I was pretty much drinking pus, and let me tell you, pus is not the most pleasant of things to swallow down! Lucky I was at home most of the time because I could just spit it out. My dad went to pick up a little pack that the dentist put together for me, including my antibiotics, so after taking that it's getting a bit better but I still get pus coming out of it every now and then. I have to rinse it with salt water all the time, which is quite hassling. They even gave me this syringe-like thing (without a needle) that lets you squirt the saltwater onto your gum area, and whenever I'm out I carry gauze around in case pus starts coming out and it's too inconvenient to spit out.

It's truly disgusting! To make matters worse, I still can't really eat much! I've advanced to soft foods and even started eating some meat, but I had to cut it up into extremely tiny pieces. I'm starting work tomorrow as well, so I hope it gets a lot better over night. The plus side is that I don't need to take Panadol any more since it doesn't hurt that much, it's just more of a constant discomfort.

Oh well, in due time. This just makes me extremely worried and hesitant about pulling out my other 3 wisdom teeth next year; I'm not sure if I want to do that any more!


Oh and I got my Hobbit postcards!


I got the Unexpected Journey ones instead of the Desolation of Smaug ones because I reckon they look better (even though there's no Legolas in Unexpected Journey =[). I'm soooooo excited, can't wait until the next Hobbit movie!


And that's all for today. I haven't really been doing much interesting stuff. I've only been catching up with friends, looking after my tooth and trying to tame this flood of relatives that have come over. I start work tomorrow as well, so there may not be a few interesting blogs for some time to come! Until then, enjoy your holidays =]